UK Immigration : Indefinite Leave to Remain

Best Immigration Solicitors Manchester

immigration solicitors:
indefinite leave to remain

Once you have been resident in the United Kingdom for a qualifying period an application can be made for indefinite leave to remain, also known as 'settlement' or 'permanent residence'.

  • For most work related categories (such as Tier 1, Tier 2, work permit etc) the qualifying period is 5 years.
  • Highly Skilled Migrants who held this status prior to November 2006 may qualify after 4 years.
  • For spouses or unmarried partners the qualifying period is 2 years.
  • Those that have otherwise been lawfully resident in the United Kingdom for 10 years or more or, alternatively, unlawfully resident for 14 years or more also qualify subject to some exceptions.

In order to qualify for indefinite leave to remain applicants aged 18 to 65 years old will also be required to pass the “Life in the UK” test.