UK Immigration : Family Members

Immigration Solicitors Manchester

family members

TM Fortis have considerable experience in assisting families including spouses, partners, civil partners or proposed partners, children and other dependant relatives.

It is essential that these applications are properly prepared as failure to do so can often lead to refusals followed by lengthy appeals. 

Spouse and Civil Partners

If you wish to live with a husband or wife who is present and settled in the United Kingdom it will be necessary to apply for a visa (leave to enter) or, if you are already in the United Kingdom, an extension (leave to remain).

A successful application will lead to an initial grant of leave for a period of two years after which an application for Indefinite Leave to Remain can be made which can lead to British nationality.

During the initial two year period the applicant will be entitled to work.

Fiance(e) and Prospective Civil Partners

For those overseas nationals who wish to get married or enter a civil partnership to a settled person in the United Kingdom a fiance(e) or prospective civil partner visa will be required.

This will allow entry to the United Kingdom for an initial period of six months to allow the couple to marry or enter into a civil partnership. Once married an application can be made from within the United Kingdom to stay for a further period as a spouse or civil partner (see above).

Dependent Relatives

Those wishing to join their family in the United Kingdom will require a family dependency visa. These can include the following:

  • Mother / Grandmother / Father / Grandfather who is a widow aged 65 years or over
  • Parents or Grandparents travelling together of whom at least one is aged 65 or over
  • Parent or Grandparent aged 65 or over who has remarried but cannot look to the spouse or children of the second marriage for financial support and the person settled in the UK is able and willing to support the person and any dependants
  • Parent or Grandparent under the age of 65 living alone in the most exceptional circumstances and mainly dependent financially on relatives settled in Britain
  • Son, Daughter, Sister, Brother, Aunt or Uncle over the age of 18 if living alone in the most exceptional circumstances and mainly dependent financially on relatives settled in Britain

A family dependency visa will allow indefinite leave to enter the United Kingdom and can lead to permanent settlement and British nationality

UK Ancestry

Commonwealth nationals who have a grandparent who was born in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man may be entitled to enter the United Kingdom for a period of five years under the UK Ancestry visa category. Commonwealth nationals with a grandparent born in the Republic of Ireland prior to 31 March 1922 are also eligible to apply.

Applicants will need to be at least 17 years of age.

If your application is approved you will be granted a visa for an initial period of 5 years after which an application for indefinite leave to remain may be made.